A Dedicated Pedestrian Accident Lawyer, Lakota Denton Fights for You
To Obtain Fair Compensation, You Need a Pedestrian Injury Lawyer on Your Side
Being struck by a vehicle while walking is a frightening, jarring experience, and the results can be catastrophic. You will likely require a significant amount of medical attention if you’ve been hit by a car, and the severity of your injuries can affect your life in many ways. Your ability to work, care for your family, and enjoy daily life could all be compromised.
Following a vehicle-pedestrian accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. However, dealing with insurance companies often leaves pedestrian accident victims overwhelmed by the process of filing a claim or suit against negligent drivers. Insurance companies are also highly skilled at finding ways to deny paying injury claims.
A successful pedestrian accident claim will need to show that a driver’s negligence caused your injuries, and a pedestrian injury attorney can help you do exactly that. You may feel in over your head if you attempt to represent yourself in your discussions with insurance companies. So, let an experienced pedestrian accident lawyer at Lakota Denton help you to maneuver the complicated landscape of personal injury claims. Call us today at 828-333-5996 for your free consultation.
What Should You Do After a Pedestrian Accident Occurs?
Stay Calm, Get Help, and Contact a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
The moments immediately following a pedestrian accident will be chaotic, stressful, and frightening. Being struck by a vehicle requires immediate attention for either serious or minor injuries. Additionally, the immediate aftermath of an accident will prove crucial to your pedestrian accident case. Following the correct procedures after an accident can give your accident case the best chances at success.
- Stay Calm – After an accident occurs, you’ll likely be panicked, agitated, and in pain. Do your best to stay calm. Avoid yelling at or blaming the driver who hit you, as anything that you say could ultimately weaken your case. If your injuries are minor, even saying that you feel fine could affect your case. Insurance companies will use anything that you say or do to minimize your claim.
- Get Medical Attention – Someone should call 911 right away. Even if your injuries appear to be minor, you should obtain a medical examination so that any underlying or less apparent injuries can be detected. A record of your medical examination and injuries is also crucial to supporting your accident case. If you forgo a medical examination, an insurance company could argue that you weren’t hurt and therefore deserve no compensation.
- Obtain Driver Information – Both you and the driver who hit you should remain at the scene. Ask for the driver’s name and contact, license, and insurance information. If a driver leaves the scene without relaying this information, it will be difficult to file a case against him.
- Call the Police – Calling 911 should automatically alert police officers of an accident. It’s essential that police make a report of your accident case, which later provides crucial evidence for your accident injury claim. You should give as clear a statement as you can to responding officers.
- Gather Evidence – If you are in any condition to gather evidence, doing so can support your case. Take photos of the accident scene, including any intersections, traffic lights, and sidewalks, or ask a bystander to do so. Photograph the driver’s license plate and your injuries, as well. Obtain contact information from anyone who witnessed the accident.
- Contact a Pedestrian Injury Lawyer – Contacting pedestrian accident lawyers in Asheville as soon as possible will help to support your case from the start. An attorney can ensure that your rights are upheld and that insurance companies do not take advantage of your situation.
Having a skilled Asheville pedestrian accident lawyer like Lakota Denton on your side can be the difference between a minimal or no settlement and receiving full compensation.
Can a Pedestrian Be at Fault for an Accident?
In North Carolina, even if a pedestrian has suffered serious injuries in an accident, she can still be held at fault for the accident and barred from compensation. If the pedestrian was at all negligent, even a small degree of contributory negligence can prevent the awarding of compensation.
A pedestrian could be held at fault for an accident if he was negligent in using caution while walking. Pedestrians must obey laws by using crosswalks and obeying traffic signals. A negligent pedestrian could have been . . .
- Crossing against traffic signals
- Walking on a highway, bridge, or other road that does not permit pedestrians
- Crossing an intersection diagonally
- Declining to look both ways for oncoming traffic
- Standing or walking toward the middle of the road.
Because North Carolina has strict pedestrian accident laws that can easily shift blame to the pedestrian, it’s important to speak with a pedestrian injury lawyer right away if you’ve been hurt.
Skilled pedestrian accident lawyers in Asheville can help make sure that negligent drivers—and not pedestrians—are the ones held accountable.
What Compensation Can a Pedestrian Injury Lawyer Obtain for Accident Victims?
Some pedestrian accident victims suffer from injuries that prevent them from carrying out normal routines at home or at work. Serious injuries such as broken bones, organ damage, and brain injury can occur. Resulting disabilities may permanently affect your ability to work and provide for yourself and your loved ones. Even if your disability is temporary, you and your family may be facing medical debt for years to come.
By working with our Asheville pedestrian injury attorney, compensation may be available for you after a pedestrian accident. A first step is to demonstrate that the driver involved was negligent. If a driver’s negligence caused the accident, a personal injury claim may be able to award compensation that covers many or all of the costs resulting from an accident.
Compensation can be awarded for:
- Medical expenses
- Lost income
- Lost future wages
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
It’s impossible to initially know how much, if any, compensation you might be awarded for your injuries. A consultation with our Asheville pedestrian injury attorney can help determine how much compensation you might recover. Call 828-333-5996 to talk to our team about your case.
Our Asheville Pedestrian Injury Attorney Will Handle Insurance Adjusters
People with complex personal injury cases, like pedestrian accident victims, often have a difficult time getting the compensation that they’re owed from insurance companies. Insurance adjusters know that victims can be pressured to settle claims quickly. The adjuster’s job is to avoid trials and make sure that an insurance company pays as little as it possibly can. A pedestrian injury attorney’s job, however, is to thoroughly review an accident to make sure victims receive as much fair compensation as they’re owed.
Fighting with the insurance company over the damages you are entitled to can distract you from what’s most important: getting well. Instead of being stuck with a small settlement, pedestrian accident victims deserve to have all of their expenses covered. Victims have suffered enough, and our lawyers want to help.
Our Asheville pedestrian injury attorney can advocate for your rights and fight for what you deserve.
A Skilled Pedestrian Injury Attorney Will Investigate Your Case Thoroughly
In addition to speaking to insurance adjusters on your behalf, our pedestrian injury attorney will also thoroughly investigate your claim. This investigation may include:
- Speaking to witnesses who saw the accident occur
- Reviewing the driving record of the at-fault driver
- Obtaining and reviewing the police report of the accident
- Visiting the accident site to take photos and gather further evidence
- Examining your medical records related to injury treatment
- Consulting expert witnesses whose expertise can support your case.
These actions may convince an insurance adjuster to increase your settlement. While many accident cases eventually reach a successful settlement, our pedestrian injury attorney will take a case to trial if a fair settlement can’t be reached through negotiation.
Contact Our Experienced Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Attorney Lakota Denton works alongside some of the best personal injury lawyers in Asheville, NC, and around the country, learning new strategies that increase the value of pedestrian accident cases and further help victims. Our firm’s goal is to ensure that our clients are treated fairly by insurance companies and that accident victims receive fair and full compensation for their damages.
Asheville pedestrian accident lawyer Lakota Denton is here to serve you. He’s a pedestrian injury attorney who has both the knowledge needed to handle your case and the compassion to truly care about all clients and their outcomes.
Hiring our pedestrian accident lawyer to represent you lets you focus on getting your life back on track after your injuries. Initial consultations are always free. So, call us at 828-333-5996 or email our firm today to discuss the details of your case and determine your path forward.
”I was represented by Lakota Denton for injuries and trauma that I sustained after being hit and nearly killed by a negligent driver of a SUV, riding my bicycle home from work in Asheville, NC. Lakota and his team kept me well informed throughout the entire process, and were always available to discuss any questions or concerns that I had. I was especially grateful for their professionalism, experience, integrity and honor. Lakota was not only successful in settling my personal injury case beyond our expectations, I also felt supported and confident that my best interests were a top priority. I was pleased with my experience and settlement and highly recommend Lakota Denton.” – White Lotus Studio (Google Review)