Asheville NC Personal Injury Cases – Burn Injuries
Burns are some of the more common types of injuries that we see in our law practice. These types of injuries can be very painful and often come with other complications to your health, such as susceptibility to infection, pain management issues, and concerns about scarring and disfigurement. Burn injuries can happen almost anywhere, but some of the more common places that people get burned include the home, school, workplace, and public places. Individuals that have received burn injuries as a result of someone else’s negligence should consult with a reputable personal injury lawyer to see if they have a case, and what is the best course of action moving forward to make sure they’re fairly compensated.
Degrees of Burn Severity
A burn is technically an “injury caused by exposure to heat or flame”, which causes damage to the skin cells and (depending on the extent of the burn) to the underlying tissue as well. Burns are classified into 3 categories, indicating severity:
- First Degree Burns are the least severe, affecting only the outermost layer of skin, causing pain, swelling and redness.
- Second Degree Burns (also called partial thickness burns) involve both the outer layer of skin and the underlying skin layer, causing pain, redness, swelling and blistering.
- Third Degree Burns (also called full thickness burns) are the most severe, affecting both layers of skin, and the tissue beneath. Nerve damage can occur, causing numbness or tingling, and the skin can appear blackened or white, and visibly burnt.
- Fourth Degree Burns are less common, but very severe. In addition to affecting all of the layers of skin and underlying tissue, fourth degree burns extend beneath the skin layers, affecting tissue, muscle, and organs underneath. Fourth degree burns absolutely require emergency medical attention.
The more severe the burn, the more necessary cause for medical attention. Severe burns can lead to things like skin infections, pain management issues, mobility limitations, and other problems. For this reason, it is important to receive medical attention for any burn injury, to minimize potential complications, and give your body the best chance at healing successfully from a traumatic burn injury.
How Do Burns Typically Occur?
There are a number of ways in which a serious burn can occur. In our Asheville, North Carolina law practice, these are some of the more common ways in which we see clients receive burn injuries:
- Fire/flame induced burns from open flame by a lighter, candle, or existing fire
- Electrical burns: from faulty wiring, or exposed wires
- Chemical burns: from caustic gasses or liquids
- Scalding burns: from boiling or hot liquid
- Sunburns: from overexposure to sunlight
Compensation for Burn Injuries
We recommend that everyone receive medical attention after a burn injury. It is important for medical personnel to assess the severity of your burn, so that an appropriate treatment plan can be made for infection prevention, pain management, and skin integrity. If you were burned through no fault of your own, it is all the more important that you receive prompt and thorough medical care, so there is a record of your injury and treatment. Often times people think their burn injuries are minor, only to find as time goes on that they are more complex and problematic than they originally thought. Best to err on the side of caution and be proactive about your medical care after an accident.
Contact Asheville Personal Injury Attorney
If you have been burned as a result of someone else’s negligent behavior, it is imperative that you speak to an experienced personal injury lawyer. A skilled attorney can help advise you on how best to proceed with your case, to ensure that you receive the treatment you need, and the compensation you deserve. Our legal team is standing by to assist you, call today for a free, no-pressure consultation.
”I did a Google search and found Mr. Denton. Then I watched his YouTube videos. I chose him to represent me. The search and videos proved to be genuine. No BS. He operates like he says he will. We settled today. I couldn’t be happier with his professionalism, calm demeanor, diligence, and compassion. Highly recommend.” – Brian Hilligoss (Google Review)