Our Asheville Spinal Injury Lawyer Can Fight for the Compensation You Deserve
If you or a loved one has suffered a spinal injury due to someone else’s negligence or fault, you’ll need to work with an experienced attorney.
Spinal cord injuries can severely damage the body’s functions, including the ability to think clearly, use arms and legs, speak, take care of everyday needs, and participate in daily life; they may even lead to death. If you or a loved one has suffered a spinal injury, our Asheville spinal injury lawyer at Lakota Denton can help you get compensation through insurance or a personal injury lawsuit.
While no amount of money can make up for a life-changing catastrophic injury, a settlement can help by easing your financial burdens and paying for rehabilitation and care. The spinal cord injury lawyers at the Lakota Denton law firm are here for you. Call us today at 828-333-5996.
Why You Need an Experienced Spinal Cord Injury Attorney
North Carolina personal injury laws are complicated; making mistakes can be costly; and insurance companies will try to get you to settle for the lowest amount possible.
At this difficult time, when you may be feeling overwhelmed and vulnerable, let Asheville personal injury attorney Lakota Denton take the burden off you by handling all dealings with insurers and the legal hurdles and requirements involved with getting you compensation so you can concentrate on your recovery. Our law firm has won numerous six-figure awards for our clients over the years. Let us fight for the maximum settlement for you.
You can count on honest and hardworking representation when you trust Lakota Denton with your case. We strive to ensure that our clients are fully and appropriately compensated for their injuries, their pain and suffering, and the effects that their injuries have had on their work and family life.
We offer a free consultation to discuss your individual spinal injury situation, so call us today to get started working for the benefits you deserve. Don’t delay — call 828-333-5996 now.
How Our Spinal Injury Lawyer Can Help You
When you call attorney Lakota Denton for help after a spinal injury, he will immediately get to work on your behalf, investigating and building your case, and fighting for a fair settlement.
There are many different elements of your case that we will handle. We can help by:
- Evaluating your case to determine if it is valid and what it may be worth
- Making sure you receive the proper medical treatment and care
- Investigating the circumstances surrounding your injury to determine who was at fault
- Gathering evidence to prove negligence, such as from videos and photographs, police and medical reports and documents
- Interviewing witnesses to testify on your behalf
- Filing all necessary documents
- Hiring expert witnesses to reconstruct the accident, determine what your financial losses are, the damaging effects of your injuries, and the costs and care that will be necessary in the future
- Locating all potential defendants who may have been at fault for causing your injuries
- Corresponding with all potentially involved insurance companies and identifying all possible sources of recovery
- Demanding payment and negotiating aggressively with the insurance companies for a fair settlement
- Preparing for and taking your case to trial and arguing in front of a judge and jury, if necessary.
Insurance companies and their attorneys tend to take your case more seriously and negotiate accordingly if they know you have an attorney on your side who is willing to take your case to court.
Damages Our Spinal Cord Injury Attorney May Win for You
Types of Damages We Will Pursue in Your Spinal Injury Case
Asheville spinal cord injury attorney Lakota Denton will fight to win a comprehensive spinal injury settlement for your damages (the losses you sustained from your injury). In a successful case, North Carolina law allows you to recover compensatory damages, for both your economic and non-economic damages.
Economic damages are for your costs which can be calculated, such as:
- Medical, rehabilitation, and continuing care costs
- Property damages
- Wage losses
- Costs to modify a home or vehicle to accommodate a disability.
Non-economic damages are restitution for things that are difficult to put a dollar value on, but which negatively affect your life, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress and mental anguish
- Loss of enjoyment of life and consortium.
In some rare cases where the defendant acted in a way that was malicious, willful, or especially egregious you may also receive punitive damages. These serve to punish a defendant and discourage similar behavior in the future.
Amounts of Damage Awards in a Spinal Injury Case
The amount of damages awarded for spinal injuries varies widely, based on facts such as the extent of the spinal damage and the effects on the life of the victim and his or her family. Since spinal injuries can be so catastrophic, some awards can reach the hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars. Factors that will be considered include:
- the extent, severity, and permanence of your injuries
- the actual costs involved
- whether you need continuing care
- whether you can go back to work
- your age, earning ability, and family situation
- the individual jurisdiction, judge and jury
- the skill of your attorney to negotiate with insurance companies and argue your case.
How Our Spinal Injury Attorney Proves Negligence
Winning Your Case Depends on Proving Another Party Was Negligent
To win your lawsuit, Lakota R. Denton must prove certain elements exist in your case. We would work to prove negligence by showing the following:
- Duty: The defendant had a duty of care not to cause harm.
- Breach: The defendant breached this duty by acting or failing to act.
- Cause: This wrongful act, neglect, or default caused the accident that led to your injuries.
- Damages: You suffered damages as a result.
Everyone has a duty to be careful and not to cause harm to others. If a person or entity fails in this duty and this results in injuries and specific damages to another, the person or entity can be held liable for the damages that they caused.
For example, in a case where a car accident was caused by a driver who was speeding through a red light, the driver breached the duty to drive carefully, and this wrongful act caused your spinal injury and resulted in damages such as medical costs and loss of wages.
In some cases, there may be multiple parties who could be liable for causing an accident. For example when your accident involves a truck, the driver, truck owner, owner of the trucking company, the company responsible for truck maintenance and repair, the company that loaded the cargo, and the manufacturer of a defective part that failed could be held liable in this case, depending on what caused the accident. Our attorneys would look to name them all in a lawsuit, as they may all have insurance and assets that could go toward a settlement.
Other examples of negligence in a spinal injury case that were the fault of another include:
- You were a pedestrian hit by a careless motorcycle
- You fell on a broken staircase that a property owner should have repaired.
- You were hurt by a defective exploding airbag or other defective product.
Our Spinal Injury Lawyer Answers Frequently Asked Questions
When you are a victim of a spinal cord injury, it’s natural to be fearful and to have questions. Here are answers to some asked frequently by our clients:
Should I talk to the insurance company?
What if a loved one died from a spinal cord injury?
Are there time limits for filing a case?
What are some signs or symptoms of spinal cord injuries?
What if I did something to contribute to the accident?
What can I do to increase the chances of winning my case?
Call a Spinal Injury Lawyer in Asheville for Help Today
If you or a family member has suffered a spinal injury in North Carolina, you do not have to fight for compensation alone.
Lakota Denton has successfully taken spinal injury cases to trial and obtained verdicts from juries for concussions and post-concussive syndrome, and he knows what to do to obtain optimum benefits for you. If you have a spinal injury of any kind and want advice, please call to discuss your situation.
Call Lakota Denton today at 828-333-5996 to schedule a free and confidential initial consultation. There are no fees to you unless and until we win your case.
”I don’t know where to begin!!!!! The Law Office of Lakota R. Denton in Asheville is AMAZING!!!! From the first phone call to the end settlement they are FOR YOU!!!!! My specific paralegal was Jenny Stanford and she is the best HAND DOWN!!!!! If you want HONESTY ,FAIRNESS and EXCELLENT REPRESENTATION look no further then Lakota Denton!!!!! If I ever am in another wreck I will only use this office and you should too!!!!!Thank you again for your AMAZING SERVICE- Courtney” – Courtney Aiken (Google Review)