Being involved in a serious car accident can be a devastating, life-changing event. You may be left with serious injuries and face mounting medical and rehabilitation bills when you cannot work. The physical and emotional trauma can be overwhelming. Therefore, your priority after getting medical assistance should be to consult with an experienced Waynesville car accident lawyer.
Suppose you or a loved one has been injured or someone has died in a car accident that occurred due to another party’s negligence or fault. In that case, you may be entitled to compensation for your losses through a personal injury lawsuit. While no amount of money can compensate for the suffering a car accident can cause, a settlement can help by easing your financial burdens and paying for rehabilitation and care.
North Carolina, personal injury laws, are complicated, making mistakes can be costly, and insurance companies have high-powered lawyers working on getting you to settle for the lowest amount possible. At this challenging time, when you may be feeling overwhelmed, stressed out, and vulnerable, Waynesville car accident injury attorney Lakota Denton will take the burden off you by handling all investigations, dealings with insurers, and the legal hurdles and requirements involved with getting you compensation so you can concentrate on rebuilding your life.
We offer a free consultation to discuss your case and determine the best way to handle it, so call us today at 828-333-5996 to get started.Request Free Consultation
Why Choose Our Car Accident Lawyer?
There are many lawyers, and you should look for one you feel comfortable with and who also has the skills and resources to handle your case properly. Here are some reasons why we believe Waynesville car accident lawyer Lakota Denton is your best choice:
- We are experienced and have a proven track record of success. Lakota has been practicing law in Asheville, N.C., since 2011. We have represented many injured car accident victims in North Carolina and have a successful track record of obtaining favorable settlements and verdicts for our clients.
- We satisfy our clients. We believe every client deserves the best possible representation, and we always keep going until we get results. See what our clients have to say about how we have helped them.
- We are patient and do not rush to a settlement. Many times, the severity of a car accident injury does not manifest itself right away, and the full extent of the damages and injuries may take some time to be discovered. Rushing into a settlement is detrimental to your case, so patience is important, as your recovery and compensation are important to us.
- We are recognized in the community and the legal profession. We have participated in the Asheville Alcohol Safety Campaign and The Pedestrian Safety Campaign because we care. We have received awards, including the National Top 100 Trial Lawyers, and the Avvo Clients’ Choice, and have been recognized as a Super Lawyer Rising Star.
- We handle all legal paperwork and court appearances required by Indiana law.
- We communicate, deal, and negotiate with insurance companies, so you will not have to.
- We offer free initial consultations to get you started.
- We understand and realize that this is a tough time for you financially, so we work on a contingency basis, and you pay us nothing unless we win, and you get your money.
At Lakota Denton, we believe every client deserves the best possible representation – and we provide it!
How Our Waynesville Car Accident Attorney Works for You
When you retain our Lakota Denton legal team, we will start working for you immediately. We will:
- Meet with you to discuss how the accident occurred, who the at-fault parties may be, and determine what type of settlement to go after.
- Make sure you get proper medical care for your injuries, and that all symptoms and treatments are documented.
- Investigate your case and gather evidence, such as photographs and videos from the accident scene, and police, ambulance, hospital, and medical records and reports.
- Conduct interviews with witnesses, medical professionals, and first responders.
- Get expert opinions from accident reconstruction professionals as to how the accident happened and who was at fault, and from medical professionals and therapists as to the care you need and will in the future, as well as the effects on your life.
- Handle all communications and negotiations with insurance companies and opposition lawyers for a fair settlement.
- Build your case and take it to court and advocate for you in front of a judge and jury if necessary.
After an auto accident, you need all the help you can get.
At Lakota Denton, we will tell you honestly what to expect in your case and do everything possible to help you get your life back on track.Call Us Now
Damage Awards Our Car Accident Attorney May Recover
When we take on your case, our Waynesville car accident attorney will look at all your losses and the costs you have had and may face in the future. These are called damages, and in North Carola, you may be awarded two types of damages – compensatory and punitive.
Compensatory damages cover both economic and non-economic damages, as follows:
Economic damages are for your monetary losses and calculable costs such as:
- Medical, rehabilitation, and continuing care costs
- Property damaged in the accident
- Wage losses now and into the future if you are unable to work
- Funeral, burial, and/or cremation expenses, in case of a death.
Non-economic damages cover non-monetary losses that are difficult to put a dollar value on but negatively affect your life, such as:
- Your pain and suffering
- Emotional distress and mental anguish
- Loss of quality and enjoyment of life and consortium
- Loss of use of a body part or bodily function
- Amputation of a limb or digit
- Scarring and/or disfigurement.
In some rare cases, courts may also order a defendant to pay punitive damages. The purpose is to punish a defendant who acted in a way that was especially malicious, willful, or reckless, and to prevent such behavior from occurring in the future.
Waynesville Car Accident Lawyers Must Prove Negligence
To win your case, our Waynesville car accident lawyers would not only have to help prove the extent of your injuries but produce evidence to show that another party or entity, the defendants in the case, were negligent and, therefore, liable for the damages you received. Proving negligence legally negligent involves showing the existence of the following elements:
- Duty: The defendant had a duty of care not to cause harm
- Breach: The defendant breached this duty by acting or failing to act
- Cause: This wrongful act, neglect, or default caused the accident that led to your injuries.
- Damages: You suffered damage as a result.
In some cases, there may be multiple parties responsible who could be found negligent and liable for the accident. For example, in addition to the driver who hit your car, other negligent parties may include:
- The manufacturer of a defective part (such as brakes) that failed.
- A road repair company that left debris on the road and failed to put up warning signs.
- A maintenance person who failed to repair a car correctly.
Every potentially liable party should be named in your lawsuit as they may all have insurance and assets that could go toward a settlement.
Waynesville Car Accident Lawyer Answers FAQs
After a serious car accident, it is common to have questions and be unsure of what to do. Your individual concerns can be addressed at your free consult, but to get started, here are some answers to questions we often are asked:
How much is my case worth?
There is a wide range of settlement amounts possible in a car accident lawsuit, from thousands to millions of dollars. The amount your case is worth depends on the circumstances of the accident and factors such as the extent and permanence of your injuries, the actual costs involved, whether you need continuing care, whether you can go back to work, and your age, earning ability, and family situation. The skill of your attorney to negotiate with insurance and present your case in front of a judge or jury is also important.
Should I talk to the insurance company?
No, the less you say to an insurance company, the better. Insurance companies are concerned with their bottom line and want to pay you as little as possible. They have high-powered lawyers on their side and will use tactics such as trying to get you to admit that you were partially at fault for the accident or to accept a quick lowball settlement for less than you deserve. Let Lakota Denton handle all negotiations and dealings with insurance companies.
What if a loved one died in a car accident?
If a family member has died in a car accident caused by someone else’s negligence, fault, or reckless action, we can help you pursue a lawsuit for wrongful death. In North Carolina, the personal representative of the deceased person’s estate files a claim that seeks compensation for the decadent’s pain and suffering and medical expenses leading up to the death, funeral expenses, and other losses such as loss of future earnings and loss of companionship, comfort, and guidance from the deceased.
Are there time limits for filing a case?
Yes, North Carolina has deadlines for filing a lawsuit. The statute of limitations is, generally, three years from the accident date for personal injury, and two years from the date of the death for wrongful death. If you miss this deadline, the courts are likely to refuse to hear your case.
What if I did something to contribute to the accident?
North Carolina has a doctrine of “pure” contributory negligence. This means that, if it is determined that you were even 1% at fault, you cannot recover for any damages you received in the accident. As a result, attorneys for the defense will try to prove that you did something to cause the accident. Our attorneys are aware of this tactic and will be prepared to show this was not the case.
Call Our Car Accident Attorney in Waynesville for Help
No one who was injured in a serious car accident in North Carolina should have to deal with struggling to get fair compensation alone. The legal team at Lakota Denton has the experience, confidence, resources, and trial experience to handle all legal hurdles and requirements involved with getting you maximum compensation, so you can focus on your recovery.
Do not delay. It is important to get started with your case while the evidence is fresh, and witnesses can be found.
Call us today at 828-333-5996 to schedule a free and confidential initial consultation about your case.Call Us Today